Oded Keynan Ph.D
Ecology and Educaion
My research aims to explore the relationships between individual development and behavior, group size, and population dynamics in the cooperatively breeding Arabian Babbler (Turdoides squamiceps). I am interested in identifying what social or environmental factors promote group growth or extinction, and their impact on critical group size at the Shezaf nature reserve in the Negev desert (as part of the Arabian babbler research project). I am also interested in the interactions between animals and humans, especially the effect of agriculture and human settlement on the behavior and the ecology of desert birds and mammals.
Together with my biological research interests I also serve as the director of the Arava Environmental Science Education Center.
- Keynan, O., Ridley, A.R. (2016) Component , group and demographic Allee effects in a cooperatively breeding bird species , the Arabian babbler ( Turdoides squamiceps ). Oecologia. September 2016, Volume 182, Issue 1, pp 153–161
- Keynan, O., Ridley, A.R. & Lotem, A. (2016) Task dependent differences in learning by subordinate and dominant wild Arabian babblers. Ethology Volume 122 issue 5 pp 399-410
- Keynan, O., Ridley, A.R. & Lotem, A. (2015) Social foraging strategies and acquisition of novel foraging skills in cooperatively breeding Arabian babblers. Behavioral. Ecology, 26(1): 207-214
- Keynan. O. & Yosef. R. (2010):Annual precipitation affects reproduction of the Southern Grey Shrike (Lanius meridionalis). The Wilson Journal of Ornithology, 122(2): 334-339.
- Keynan O. & Yosef R. (2010): Temporal changes in the impaling behaviour of the Southern Grey Shrike (Lanius meridionalis) in the Arava Valley, Israel. Behavioural processes, 85(1): 47-51.
- Keynan O. & Leshem Y. 2010 (in Hebrew): Bird migration over the Dead Sea Rift- a combination between Science, Environment, Tourism & Education. Salt of the Earth- a series of Dead Sea studies. Vol 5, pp:56-76.
- קינן ע. ולשם י. (2010) נדידת ציפורים מעל לבקע ים המלח- שילוב בין מדע, סביבה, תיירות וחינוך. מלח הארץ- סדרה למחקרי ים המלח. קובץ 5. עמודים: 56-76.